Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Kiva Loan

I just made my first ever Kiva loan! Kiva is the world's first person-to-person micro-lending website, empowering individuals to lend directly to unique entrepreneurs in the developing world.

I loaned money to Francisco Roberti Guzmán Mendoza in Chinandega, Nicaragua

"Mr. Francisco Guzman devotes himself to the sale of general medicine; he has his own pharmacy which is located at his residence in the municipality of El Viejo, in the city of Chinandega. This gentleman has been characterized as being a great father because he has managed to provide and education for his three school age children."

I heard about Kiva a while ago, but just got around to making my first loan. I just went to the website and all the loans are fully funded at the moment, but keep checking and you can help someone keep their business afloat or start a new business to support their family. Once your loan is repaid you can reinvest.

The key to giving online is to always have your credit card handy when you sit down at the computer. (This is also the key to online shopping, so be careful!) Also make sure you know your paypal password! Couldn't be easier!