Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Wedding

I had a wonderful time at the Ethiopian wedding I attended on Saturday. It was definitely an experience I will remember always. I will post pictures later, I promise.

The invitation I received said the wedding began at 6pm, but Mekedes told me to come at 7:30. I was a little confused, but I showed up at 7:30 to a location that looked sort of like a VFW hall, called the Environmental Friendship Center. I saw one of Mekedes' friends and he ushered me into the building and seated me on the left side of the aisle. There were about 6 unoccupied rows in front of me. Before long someone walked over and informed me I was sitting on the Mens side. Very embarrasing. A sweet girl behind me started talking to me and we chatted until about 8:15 when the wedding party arrived. They came in singing and dancing and clapping. The women make this trilling noise that I can't really explain, except to say I can't do it. It took about 5 minutes for them to get up the aisle. It was a very joyous entrance.

The service was what I imagine a church service would be like at their church with a bride and a bridegroom and attendents sitting on the stage. The church Father spoke to the audience and there was more singing, dancing and clapping. At a break in the service, Mekedes called someone over and whispered to him and he came and moved me up to the 2nd row. I had a seat of honor.

At some point we were all ushered outside and through a line to get our food. It was all Ethiopian food of course. I recognized some of it....injera which is a sourdough bread similiar to a pancake in shape and size. You use pieces of it to scoop up the food. You eat with your fingers. There was also the chicken and boiled egg dish...doro wat(?). I got an egg on my plate, which made me feel special. There are several foods that are similiar to chili. Most of it is very spicy. I actually like most of the Ethiopian food I have tried.

After the food there was more singing, dancing and celebrating, including the wedding cake. I left after they cut the cake, at about 11:30 and they were still going strong. Mekedes later informed me that the actual giving and receiving of rings was going to take place at church on Friday.

It was an awesome experience. The people were so friendly and nice and made me feel like a special guest.