Sunday, September 30, 2007

I guess we aren't in the Bible Belt anymore

Today I was driving Will to a birthday party at a class mate’s home. The class mate doesn’t have a very good reputation (he gets in trouble at school) so I was a little concerned about Will attending the party.

On the way there Will said “Do you want to know something bad about Hunter? He doesn’t believe in God.”

Whoa, I wasn’t expecting that. He said Hunter didn’t believe God created the world, he believed science created the world. Will said he and his friend, Isis, discussed this with him and asked him “Well then, who created science?” That a boy! We talked about showing Hunter God’s love and praying for him….but, I never thought my 6 year old would be having discussions like this in his first grade class. I guess this is something you encounter when you move out of the Bible Belt….way out of the Bible Belt.