Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I DID IT!!!!

One of the beautiful things about this stage in my life is my opportunities and possibilities are wide open. My baby started first grade, so all three of my kids are in school for a full day. I have house help, so I don't have to constantly be doing laundry or housework. I could do anything I want to do. I could learn a new skill or language, I could become one of "those" moms that is up at the school everyday volunteering, I could get a job, I could go back to school. I could become a serious shopper and eat lunch out everyday (not likely). The only thing holding me back is ....................driving in Doha.

Books could be written about driving in Doha. It is completely and totally crazy. First, instead of intersections with traffic lights, we have roundabouts. Roundabouts seem to have very few rules. You look for an opening and accelerate into the roundabout and hope you make it out the other side alive. Second, many people here drive with very little or no consideration of other cars on the road. They will pull out in front of you, pass you on the shoulder, weave in and out of traffic at high speeds and blow their horn furiously at you. Third, very few street signs exist. Here you navigate by landmarks. Fourth, my sweet husband (who has a very cautious nature) is afraid for me to drive and therefore has been discouraging me from driving.

This morning I decided today was the day. I took Mekedas with me and we set out for the grocery store. It was nice having Mekedas with me, although I am sure she thinks I am totally insane now. We managed to get to the store, which is in a mall, and I was so pleased. There was not a lot of traffic. We spent a couple of hours shopping. It was so nice to go to the grocery store and not have husband and three kids "helping" you shop. On the way home, I got somewhat lost. We were in terrible traffic (lunch time) and went through lots of roundabouts. We went waaaay out of the way, but praise the Lord, we finally made it back to home.

I feel pretty confident about the actual driving part after today. We tackled some very hairy roundabouts. Now, I just have to learn my way around and figure out what I want to do with my new found freedom.