Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I have the Gift of Doughnuts.

Once I blogged about my experience at the fruit and vegetable market in Doha HERE . It was way back in May '08. I wrote about meeting the young and old men that work in the market and how important they are to God, how he knows their names and how they are supposed to be important to us too. And, I told about sharing my Krispy Kremes doughnuts with them.


TODAY, 9 months later I went back to the fruit and veg market for the 2nd time. I started out this morning not quite knowing what to do with myself. I spent most of the early morning checking email, doing a little quilting, playing around on facebook and obsessing over our now 6 months wait for our referral. I decided I needed to get out of the house and take a drive.



I got in the car and grabbed my devotional book and quickly read my devotional for the day. It was about how we are all gifted by God to serve him and others. I prayed "Show me how I can best serve you today, Lord" and set off to return something at the mall. After that, I got back into my car and didn't really know where I was going. I started driving toward the kids school and then realized I was an hour early to pick them up, so I thought I would drive over to the fruit and veg market. I was quickly transported to the reality of living in a developing? country when I got in the hustle and bustle traffic around the market. With horns blowing and people yelling at each other, I maneuvered my way to the entrance.


I walked in and started around the perimeter, knowing I would buy something, but not really needing anything. I stopped at a stall and looked interested, which is all the encouragement the sales guys need to start persuading you to buy a car full of produce. After a couple of minutes, the young man waiting on me said "You come here before." I said yes, but it was a long time ago, pretty sure he was mistaking me for someone else.


"You brought cake, you brought doughnuts."


And it was then that I knew that God was there...in the midst of this Middle Eastern market. He had directed my steps. These guys remembered me from 9 months ago because I shared my doughnuts with them. Unbelievable! I can only hope I have another opportunity to share Krispy Kremes and more with them.