Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My Ethiopian Happy Birthday


This is me with one of the volunteers. She was also dressed up (thank goodness!) What you can't see behind us is the traditional goat slaughter as they prepared for tomorrow's Christmas Day feast. Yuck!

The morning of my birthday I was overwhelmed when Mekdes (she is in Addis Ababa on holiday) and her sister surprised me with birthday cake and gifts. The bought me a traditional dress and sandals. The cake was completely vegan as they were both still fasting and they wanted to be able to enjoy the cake, too. I do not know how you make a cake without milk and eggs, but it tasted good. This was the day of the kids Christmas party and they insisted I wear my new clothes to the party. I have never gotten so many compliments. Although some of the Ethiopians were probably surprised to see me all dressed up, many told me how "qonjo" or beautiful I looked. It was a birthday that I will never, ever forget.