Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Doha Days

Today I was reminded of something I like about Doha.

I was driving home from picking up Abbey from Girl Scouts at about 5pm and I drove through a part of town with a long strip mall of "hole in the wall" places that sell rotisserie chickens and shawarmas.

They don't start selling them until 5 or 5:30. The timing was right so I pulled up. You don't even have to get out of your car. The "chicken men" stand outside on the sidewalk and if you catch their eye, they will come take your order. I got 4 whole rotisserie chickens for the weekend and a bag of fresh shawarmas to take home for dinner. He even brought out a small bag of falafal "for the babies" while we were waiting.

It may seem funny, but it is moments like these when I find myself immersed in the local culture that I like living in Doha.