Sunday, June 8, 2008

Good stuff!

I wanted to share a couple of good recipes from my cooking class with you...

Balsamic Roast Beef- When I was growing up, I thought the only way to cook roast beef was to buy a chuck roast or bottom roast and cook it hours and hours until it was fall apart tender (I still love this kind of roast!) This is a recipe for a different roast beef. I'm not sure how you can even call it roasted, because it cooks for such a short time, but it is DELICIOUS and easy and great for serving guest and family, both.

1 beef tenderloin
1 T lemon zest
1 t ginger, chopped
1 garlic clove, choppped
1 T soy sauce
3 T balsamic vinegar
5 T olive oil
salt and pepper
1/2 t cayenne or chili pepper

1. Make marinade. Mix lemon zest, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper and cayenne pepper.
2. Let the tenderloin marinate for 8 hours
3. Sear the tenderloin on high heat in a fry pan. Reserve marinade.
4. Bake tenderloin for 15 minutes (very rare), 20 minutes (med. rare-pink), 30 minutes (well).
5. Serve with marinade. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.