Sunday, June 1, 2008

Where I'm From

We have two more weeks of school! We reallly only have 8 1/2 days, because the kids have 1/2 days on Tuesdays and get out at noon on the last day (Thursday). When you consider field trips, choir concerts, and presentations, it is a safe bet that they aren't going to be doing much work these last few days.

I am so excited to be going home. My husband asked the other day, why I disliked Doha so much. I don't dislike Doha at all. I like it. I like our life here, my friends, our church! But, Texas is my home and I long to be there and see my family!


So, I wrote something. It is called Where I'm From and I first read this one on Owlhaven's website. You might want to write your own. It is easy using a guide found here It was fun and a little emotional for me all things considered.




Where I'm From



I am from "don't blink or you'll miss it" with stores named for the person that owned them, like "Bill's" or "Tom's" or "Billy Jack's" From long, dirt roads, slick and muddy when it rained and clouds of dust in the hot, dry summer. From towering pine trees and strong, thick pecan trees that would break before they would bend. Pitch dark nights with stars like city kids have never seen.

I am from red brick ranch style framed by trees and sky, country living and acres of land to explore. I am from fields of watermelon, corn, potatoes, squash, beans, hay and cows and horses.

I am from delicate dogwoods and bold azaleas, the first signs of spring. From the Big Thicket and the Neches river. From green, green grass and trees and rivers and lakes.


I am from deer hunters, hard workers and bible believers. I am from big family get togethers, all of us, Mike, Tricia, Cindy, Joan and me, husbands and wives, nieces and nephews, grandkids and always a few extras. I am from Jordans and Griffiths, from James Robert and Eleanor. From Thanksgivings and Christmases and 4th of July.

I am from RV camping in the heat of summer, swimming at Hen House ridge, and visits to the "big" cities to stay with my older brother and sisters. From Tyler County youth riders, Louisiana fox hunts, rodeos and county fairs for fun. I am from all-day shopping trips to the mall with my mama and sisters. From sewing and cooking and cleaning together.


From "Sometimes you gotta make that extra push." and "There's my pretty girl." And from "I'm just a baby." which I will never live down.

I am from First Baptist Church, every time the doors were open and Pirate basketball on Friday nights. From the game of "Life" or "Pay Day" with my sister and "42" learned by watching my daddy and mama play. I am from Brady Bunch and Happy Days and every once and a while The Wonderful World of Disney on one of our three channels.

I am from small town Texas, chicken dumplings, bar-b-que chicken, fish frys and fresh garden vegetables cooked with a little bacon grease. From driving one town over for Pizza Hut on Sunday nights and for steak finger baskets and dip cones at Dairy Queen.


I am from Easter sunrise services, sitting in lawn chairs in the chilled air and cedar Christmas trees found in the woods behind the house. From the memory of daddy singing "when the roll is called up yonder" and the memory of the day when he went home.

I am from photos in boxes and albums and frames recording a blessed life. Memories of faith and family so valuable no price could be placed on them.