Thursday, May 1, 2008

I had a group of ladies from my bible study over today to share about my trip to Ethiopia. Many had asked about the trip and there never seemed enough time to share. However, I wasn't sure what my purpose was. Why did I want them to come?



The time we spent together was special and wonderful and spirit led. I shared with them what I had learned about missions, and poverty and orphans. I showed them how God can use just ordinary woman to be his hands and feet to the world. I told them amazing stories of parents and children finding each other. But, most importantly for me, I verbalized to them how God has led me to discover my passion. Even as I spoke, it became increasingly clear to me how he had orchestrated my life to this point.



How he created a dissatisfaction with my suburban life in The Woodlands (Babylon as my friend Susan likes to call it).



How he brought me to a foreign land to live among people of seemingly every nation.



How he answered my prayer by providing a wonderful helper in our home, our Ethiopian maid.



How he used her sweet,precious nature and faith to cause me to want to know more about her and her country.



How he led me to discover my blogger friend "Angel" on the Internet.



How he directed me to respond when she asked if anyone wanted to join her on a trip to Ethiopia.



How he used that time in Ethiopia to cause my heart to break for orphans.



And today, before this group of witnesses, I said out loud "My passion is for orphans." And my voice cracked and I got choked up, because I realized I was telling God that I "got it". It was the first time I owned up to what I knew was in my heart.