Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Doha dentist

Yesterday morning Abbey showed me a little white bump at the base of one of her loose baby teeth. Having earned my MD in the school of mommy, I diagnosed it as an abcess and made her a dentist appointment at the dentist office where Cole is getting his braces.

The appointment was a nightmare. He x-rayed the tooth and pointed out that the two permanent teeth were trying to get out, and couldn't because of the two loose baby teeth were in the way. This was causing the problem and the abcess. Everything is going well, Abbey is happy and calm and then he said he would need to pull BOTH teeth. Abbey began to get very upset. He began to rub the numbing gel on her gums and I asked about the happy gas. NO HAPPY GAS! Abbey got really upset. We were missing our wonderful Dr. Andersen back home, who talks in a sing song voice and has goofy names for all his instruments and is a firm believer in happy gas. I honestly considered that we might have to go home to get those teeth out. The Doha dentist was able to give her the necessary shot and I will not go into great detail, but to say he did get them out among much wailing and gnashing of teeth. He is lucky he got them out without losing a finger.

Abbey was too distraught to go back to school and she wanted me to make good on all the bribes and promises I made her to get through the ordeal. So, we went to the mall and ate lunch and shopped. I do believe it made it all better.