Monday, April 14, 2008

Itty Bitty Baby



One of the most meaningful moments for me during my time in Ethiopia was going with the social worker and another volunteer to pick up a tiny baby boy that had been found on the streets.

The baby was 2 months old, and maybe weighed 5 or 6 pounds. We first went a government office and waited for the paperwork to be completed. Then we drove to a small house and several people came out. One was carrying a purple satin and lace wrapped bundle. I think they must have wrapped him in the best blanket they had. Inside was this itty bitty baby with skinny little legs and arms and great big eyes. He was malnourished and soaking wet. He wasn't wearing a diaper, just a little white onesie. They handed the baby to us and we climbed back in the van and drove away.

A little way down the road we pulled over and we cleaned him up and put a diaper on him and clean clothes and a clean blanket.

It was there, at that moment, that I knew I was exactly where I was supposed to be, doing exactly what I was supposed to be doing. And I knew I wanted to keep on doing it for the rest of my life.

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. James 1:27