Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Least of These


35 For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. 36 I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’

37 “Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? 39 When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’

40 “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’

Matthew 25:35-40 (NLT)


I don't want to write this post, but I must.

The very next day, after the McDonalds incident, I was leaving bible study . I was one of the last to leave and as I was pulling out of the parking lot, I noticed a young man in blue coveralls walking toward me. He and I made eye contact and he motioned to his lips with his hand. I knew immediately he was asking for some food or water.

There are lots of young men working here. They come from Bangladesh, SriLanka, Nepal, India and Pakistan. They come to work physical labor jobs often out in the hot sun. They are paid very low wages. It might be more than they could make in their country, if there were jobs available there, and it is enough to survive and maybe send some back home for their families. They often live in labor camps and, although I have never been inside, the condition of some of these camps is reported to be not good. The fate of these guys rest heavy on my heart. I have wanted to be able to help them in some way, but I have never been approached by any of them asking for anything.

I didn't have any food, water or money. I called out to my friend and asked if she had anything and she gave the young man some water she had in her car. She talked with him for a moment, although he didn't speak English. She tried to communicate that next week after bible study we would bring him some food. She held up 7 fingers to indicate 7 days from now he was to come back and we would have something for him.

I drove away mentally planning my own lunch and hardly thought about him until God nudged my heart. I was brought low before the Lord. What had I been thinking? I could have easily gone right then and there and bought this young fellow a whole case of water and plenty of food. We had just told a hungry man to wait 7 days and we would meet his needs. I missed this opportunity. I blew it. Forgive me, Lord and make my heart tender toward the least of these. Make my heart tender toward you! Amen